Computer Ed Radio

Turning Geek speak into street speak

Choosing a Password

passwordEverything we do today seems to have some kind of password associated with, from our email and social media accounts to our banking, video services and even our computers. Passwords are becoming a way of life for us and our first line of defense in protecting our privacy. Yet with all the importance placed on our choice of passwords, people still skimp, cheat or use super simple solutions. We do not take the time to truly secure what we want secured. Lets face facts, most of us have crappy passwords and we need to do something about it.

This year on Computer Ed radio we are putting a bit more focus on protecting yourself online and what better place to start than with picking a good password. In fact this is the perfect time to pick a good password. Oh I know you already have passwords for the things you want to protect but Password 101 teaches us that we should change our passwords every so often to ensure our data is secure. The first of the year is a great time to do this.

Now before we begin lets look at why people have such poor password practices. You might think I am going to come up with a long list of reasons but you would be wrong, for 99% of us the reason for picking a simple password is easy. We are scared we will forget it. We pick a password because we want our lives to be easy so we pick what is quick and easy for us to remember and type. However I am going to give you some ideas to make picking a password that is easy to remember and secure easier.

Passwords for most of todays accounts can range from 8 to 20 letters. However do not stop there, learn to use the various special symbols as well as capitalization and numbers. This means we have a lot of potential options with our passwords.

The first step we need to take is to make sure we are not using simple passwords. By simple I mean obvious things like family names, various important dates, single words and so on. These are actually much easier to hack than you can possible imagine and a lot of the information needed to hack these can be very easy to find.

Look for a phrase, group of words and possibly numbers that might have a meaning to you that is very obscure or might even not be meaningful to you but easy for your to remember. For example lets say you are a Football fan and love the Bears we could create phrases around that to create a password.

For example we could use some reference to the Super Bowl Shuffle. Now the obvious would be to use the Super Bowl number or the year in the password. However what if we wanted to be a bit more obscure, say we use the creator’s name (Randy Weigand) and perhaps for our number we put in the number of loses the Bears had that season, 1.  I can already imagine a number of combinations off the top of my head. Including using info from the various players that participated.

We can make this more obscure however by shifting the focus from your favoritemaxinepassword teams to your arch rivals, the team you hate, in this example the Packers. Referencing their record that same year or maybe a well known player form that team, I could go obscure and reference Jim Zorn.

The point is that for a true Bears fan this kind of information is easy to remember and can create a fairly complex and obscure password. The idea is to find something you like and then use material from it you are will never forget. For example I am a huge fan of the Big Bang Theory. Now most people would think of think I would pick a character name or some catch phrase. What about though some great lines. Such as Raj saying, “We are lost boys” or Amy with, “gop roppy a top”? I recall these as well as other phrases because they just made me laugh so hard but they also make great passwords. With some character replacement and capitalization spread out these would be pretty obscure and hard to crack.

I hope you are starting to get the idea, find a scheme or theme that means something to you, has some place in your mind that it never leaves, this makes it much easier to create a password you do not forget. I know a person that creates every password based on the TV series The Seeker. By using various one liners, or obscure references that only a true fan of the series knows, she is able to create some really solid passwords. She then takes these and adds something personal to herself in real life. The result has been a pool of potential passwords she has pulled from for a few years and never once forgotten her password.

Now you will notice that I have only suggested ways to make it easy for you to remember the password, I have not talked about password managers. The reason why id this is because I do not trust them. If you have the program crash you suddenly do not have access to your passwords. If you use an online option that data comes under risk. Passwords are meant to be secret and personal, make them such to protect your accounts.

What about the new image password system that has been introduced in Windows 8. The idea sounds really cool so I decided to test it. I went to a local store and had a number of very nice people help me with my experiment. Using a touch screen devices and a keyboard moue setup I asked the people to pick from a group of pictures, a few landscapes, a few of what looks like a family, some sports, video games, a good solid mix. They picked a picture and then created the image password. Of 20 different people I was able to crack 18 within 5 minutes. The season for this is simple, people tend to respond to the same elements on a picture. There are always predominate elements that stand out and people will make use of these.  Of the 18 I was able to get 5 of them on the first try and 3 more on the second try. The system sounds really neat but does not secure you near as well as you think. Can it, sure it can but you have forgo human nature and work hard to be deliberately obscure. There is the advantage that you cannot use a computers processing to brute force out a password faster but I feel it is still offset by the easy with which a password can be predicted.

I hope you have found this brief article helpful and you will go into 2013 with a new, secure password. If you have some questions or ideas we would love to hear about them, post comments below, head over to our Facebook page or email your comments to us.

About these ads

January 12, 2013 - Posted by | Editorial, Informational | , ,

20 Comments »

1. The reason we don’t use complex passwords is we need to many of them. My password has over 70 entries and doesn’t include everything. Even worse is the insistence of websites that you use your email address as your login ID (or to leave comments) which means someone only has to crack your email password then they can request and change any or all of your other passwords.

Comment by ralph | January 12, 2013 | Reply

• That is true but there are ways around it. For example I actually only have 5 passwords. Each password is used for certain things such as one for my bank account and other financial use, another for work and another for play, you get the idea. Within that base password I often have a couple of different variants to make sure hacking one does not automatically mean the other is hacked. This method allows me to have only a few passwords and thus easier to remember. To this I add the fact I change passwords often.

Comment by Computer Ed | January 13, 2013 | Reply

2. [...] CES 2013: CyberPower CES 2013: NZXT CES 2013: Mad Catz CES 2013: The Booth Babes Miscellany Choosing a Password @ Computer [...]

Pingback by Hardware Roundup: Monday Edition - Industry News - Overclockers Club | January 14, 2013 | Reply

3. [...] CES 2013: CyberPower CES 2013: NZXT CES 2013: Mad Catz CES 2013: The Booth Babes Miscellany Choosing a Password @ Computer [...]

Pingback by Hardware Roundup: Monday Edition | Your source for downloading popular benchmarks | January 14, 2013 | Reply

4. [...] Choosing a Password @ Computer [...]

Pingback by Hardware Roundup: Monday Edition | Project Konnect | January 14, 2013 | Reply

5. Hi, i believe that i saw you visited my site so i got here to return the favor?

.I am attempting to find issues to improve my website!
    I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!
    !

tarot nantes prévision
    voyance bayonne
    vertueux voyance
    spiritisme une іnformation machinale
    tchat spiritisme
    portail voyance
    approfondir à luі postérité gratos
    vidente natural
    hermétisme machinale 2012
    ordinaire tqrot excitant
    lésine tarots volontairement
    prévision quimper
    voyance prediction 2011
    horoscope prévision еn france
    - savoir mon avenir gratuitement
    - voyance еn ligne gratuitement
    - cartomancie gratuite
    - viyance еn italie gratuite
    - astrologie voyance gratuit
    - ѵotre avenir amoureux gratuit

Comment by Aidan | May 17, 2014 | Reply

7. The educational price of a puzzle doesn’t stop
    with basic educational skills, puzzles also teach life skills for example
    patience, persistence and self-worth, for example. Besides these, you’ll
    find critical thinking games as brain teasers. The company nowadays seell
    more than a million puzles annually.

Comment by jigsaw puzzles amazon oval | May 19, 2014 | Reply

8. His son Thutmose III was the son one of the wives in the harem.

I personally think that another Mummy movie in Egypt would have turned
    up pretty stale. Kraft, The Lenape-Delaware Heritage
    10,000BC to AD2000 (Lenape Books, 2001) quote p.

Comment by Royal Revolt 2 cheat | May 23, 2014 | Reply

9. My family every time say that I am wasting my time here at net, except I know I am getting know-how
    everyday by reading such pleasant posts.

Comment by Jamie | May 23, 2014 | Reply

10. When someone writes an paragraph he/she keeps the idea of a user in his/her mind that how a user
    can be aware of it. So that’s why this paragraph is great.
    Thanks!

Comment by żółć | May 30, 2014 | Reply

11. For latest news you have to go to see world-wide-web
    and on internet I found this web site as a finest website for most up-to-date updates.

Comment by free book download | June 7, 2014 | Reply

12. What’s up, after reading this amazing post i am as well happy to share my
    knowledge here with colleagues.

Comment by The Financial Peace Planner: A Step-by-Step Guide to Restoring Your Family's Financial Health download mobi | June 12, 2014 | Reply

13. Awesome article it is certainly informative.

Comment by bestacneproducts82.jigsy.com | June 13, 2014 | Reply

14. What’s up colleagues, how is all, and what you wish for to
    say on the topic of this piece of writing, in my view
    its in fact remarkable in support of me.

Comment by żółć | June 16, 2014 | Reply

15. You actually make it seem so easy along with your presentation however I find this
    topic to be actually something which I feel I would never understand.
    It seems too complicated and very huge for me.
    I’m looking ahead for your subsequent submit,
    I’ll attempt to get the hold of it!

Comment by Saratoga Woods pdf | June 17, 2014 | Reply

16. Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your site
    and in accession capital to assert that I acquire actually enjoyed
    account your blog posts. Anyway I’ll be subscribing to
    your augment and even I achievement you access consistently quickly.

Comment by Un amour absolu pdf | June 17, 2014 | Reply

17. The Triplane Fokker DR-1 will print in red, black and brown.
    Despite this minor issue, I still really enjoyed the airplane
    stuff. , real name Mathangi Arulpragasam, announced on her My – Space
    blog on Saturday (February 14) that her baby born Feb.

Comment by Antonia | July 15, 2014 | Reply

18. I got this site from my buddy who told me on the topic of this web
    site and now this time I am browsing this web page and reading
    very informative articles or reviews here.

Comment by wideofilmowanie Warszawa | July 16, 2014 | Reply

19. Impressive and Outstanding Images (1 – 6
    November). In my humble opinion, Diddy out did the swagga of the original
    Swagga Like Us song. I am not trying to be sexist, in my opinion and experience; boys learn to
    fold more paper airplanes than girls do.

Comment by http://note-School.com | July 19, 2014 | Reply